The examination system in Aikido is not structured on competition. You will be graded on the following points:
- Your understanding of basic techniques appropriate to your level.
- Your ability to adapt your movement to an attack.
- The concentration and awareness you maintain throughout the examination.
- Continuity of movement is important, not speed.
- Confidence and courage are important, not ego.
- Be prepared to uke (be an attacker) for someone else of your same level during the examination. You will be graded on how well you attack and respond to their technique.
- You will be expected to know and respond to Japanese terminology.
- It is necessary to complete the required number of hours of training before each examination.
- Please note: You will also be responsible for knowing all of the weapons kata